Getting the perfect finish to your wall
Get the perfect finish to your wall with Classical Creations Coping Stones
With any project it is the finishing touches that will turn a good build into a great one. With garden walls it is definitely the case, with copings not only finishing the look but also protecting the wall from weather damage. Choosing the right copings is crucial. Here are our top tips to getting the correct coping for the job.
- Think about how the water will drain off your copings. By selecting the correct coping you can control the direction of which the rain water will run off, channeling it in the right direction so it runs off paving into drains. Our “Once Weathered” coping stones slope only one way allowing the majority of rainwater to flow mainly off one side of the Coping Stones. A drip channel can be placed under one side to ensure rain water will not run down the face of your wall. Our “Twice Weathered” Apex Coping Stones are ideal to cap off your wall and protect the structure from water damage. The term “Twice Weathered” refers to the fact that the copings slope both ways allowing the rain water to run off either side, similar to a pitched roof on a house.
- Select pier caps and stone copings that complement your existing paving. This gives a unified seamless look. We offer a huge range of cast stone copings with an array of sizes and colours so you can always find the right copings for your wall. We’ve seen a huge demand for some Classical Copings coming back in recent years. And not just on period properties. Many are choosing classic vintage looks for their garden and exterior walls.
- Consider any attachments that may be made. Railings for example. Out Flat Coping Stones range is a very modern, minimalist style and their flat shape makes it ideal for use on a wall where railings are to be fitted or where sitting is required. Our Victoria Copings Stones also have a flat top section and are perfect for this.
- Dimensions and available space. What should the thickness of the copings be, how much overhang (if any) do you want. If there are two measurements listed, the largest measurement refers to the highest point (the apex) of the coping. Also remember to account for joining gaps between copings. Sometimes you may need to have Bespoke Copings Stones manufactured. We can often manufacture bespoke copings to match your exact specifications using our highly specialist mould making techniques.
- Finally, Caring for your Copings. There are some small steps to help protect your wall capping and ensure it stands the test of time.
Thinking about getting copings or pier caps to protect your masonry? Give us a ring on 0191 217 0002, we’d love to hear from you and one of our experts will be at hand to help with any of your questions. You can also view our full range of products here.